Monday, October 2, 2023

The Fun of Sonatinas (Sonatina in A Minor by Benda)


My student has been working on this classical piece, and it’s been stuck in my head on repeat. I figured I’d dive in and enjoy it for a spell. It was a lot of fun to take time out and practice it myself. Unfortunately, my grand piano hadn't arrived from Virginia yet, and I had to make due with the Korg keyboard. (Apologies for the finger tapping you hear in this recording!)

Sonatinas make up an important part of classical piano literature. They are meaty compositions that offer a lot to chew on; and they're fun! For the advancing intermediate student, they offer technical challenges like rapid scale runs and alberti bass patterns in the left hand. They call for a variety of touches (staccatto, legato) and they demand very specific and detailed dynamics. Sonatinas are a good avenue for teachers to introduce phrase shaping and discuss form more in depth. And they are an important bridge between beginning and advanced repertoire.

Classical is just one of the genres I teach. You can’t go wrong with classical. It’s dramatic, exciting, complex, and fun. To study classical is to live a life rich in beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment