Sunday, September 17, 2017

My Top 6 Favorite Classical Pieces

Ok.  A reckoning for you.  Despite my blog description, and the fact that I broke out of the classical cage long ago to explore other genres, I go weak in the knees when I hear certain classical pieces.  Obviously, my early compositions were inspired by classical influences, and I still compose and improvise in a very classical style (although I'm more jazzy every year).  Here are my favorite classical pieces.  I play all but the first on the piano.

1.  Samuel Barber:  Adagio for Strings.  Just when you think the phrase can't go on any longer (or get any more intense), it does.  Also featured in the movie, Platoon, I fell in love with this piece in high school; there is no piano but it is one of the most moving pieces ever written.  Close your eyes; be open and receptive to the sadness of this piece, and it will rip you to pieces.

 




2.  Gabriel Faure:  Pavane.  I'm a softie for anything de Francais, especially French composers.  Debussy, Faure, Saint-Saens, Satie...I love them all.  The joie de vivre is truly celebrated in French music, and harmonies are just more imaginative.  Just the right tempo is critical.  The mood is spoiled when this piece is delivered too quickly.   This duo has a nice moderate pace and the flutist has a lovely tone and phrasing.  (One of the most gorgeous pieces, I like to spontaneously arrange this on many gigs).





3.  Schubert:  Serenade (this is a particularly good version; I don't like it too slow, and I love Perlman's interpretation on violin.)



4.  Massenet:  Meditation from the opera Thais.  One of the most beautiful melodies ever written; Joshua Bell never disappoints.


5.  Beethoven:  Second Movement of Sonata Pathetique.  To listen to Beethoven is to experience a crazy cocktail of life's drama.  Quickly flipping from seething, violent outbursts to mournful meditations, there is never a dull moment in Beethoven.  I guess that's why I love him so much, and have two of his pieces here.  In this, one of Beethoven's more mournful meditations, the performer puts it all on the table for us:  blood, sweat, and tears.  I performed this movement in church just after 9/11.  I have enjoyed showing students Freddy's facial expressions in this piece.  His inner torment is palpable.


6.  Beethoven:  Third Movement of Moonlight Sonata.  (apologies - I posted the wrong video the first time).  This is my favorite movement of the Moonlight Sonata.  Sure, I love the first movement like everyone, but the electricity and passion of the third movement is hard to beat.  This piece makes me cry when I hear Evgeny Kissin perform it, but Valentina Lisitsa has chops.  Plus, I can't find a live recording of Evgeny playing it online.



No comments:

Post a Comment