Sunday, February 2, 2014

Why I Quit Teaching

In case you haven't heard, I retired from piano teaching in December.  My retirement has a lot to do with the fact that I was beginning to carve out a name for myself as a weekend performing artist. But the main impetus for my departure from teaching was my desire to be a better mom.  You see, the after-school and evening hours required to teach school children conflicted with my own kids' schedules.  They spent the day in school, and then spent the next 6 hours without their mother -- while I was teaching everyone else's kids.  Their father tucked them into bed, and I was still out teaching.  I tried everything to avoid closing the business.  I tried cutting back my hours, consolidating the students so I only worked a couple of weekdays, and delegating some of my duties to other employees.  But the other aspects of running a studio only continued to steal me away from my kids.  The problem was not just the after-school hours, but the all-consuming nature of running a studio, a feat I liken to running the military.  Some of the other hats private music teachers/ studio owners have to wear include:

  • receptionist (answer phones)
  • bookkeeper
  • invoicing 40 - 50 clients monthly (ok, some of you I know have 100 clients)
  • collecting payments from 40 - 50 clients monthly and quarterly
  • paying bills
  • managing 2 - 3 employees
  • managing student schedule for 40-50 students
  • managing teacher schedules
  • cleaning and maintaining studio and studio equipment
  • planning recitals and annual calendar
  • organizing Guild auditions and 20-ish individualized Guild programs
  • interviewing new students/ placing new students with teachers
  • writing and re-writing policies
  • calculating rates and rate increases
  • enforcing policies with sometimes difficult clients
And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  At some point, I realized I just didn't want the headache of running a business anymore, even though it was successful through a major recession.  Dealing with the occasional financial dispute or argument with a client, while infrequent, caused a very unhealthy level of stress -- stress that I didn't need.  I am in the season of being a mom, and I needed something more relaxing and fun.  Despite my success, I was willing to let go and make room for something new.  I was committed to making more room for my kids in my life.  And now, I have that.  I am just going to be a weekend musician.  Weekdays will be for my kids.  I get them on the school bus in the morning and meet them at the bus stop in the afternoon.  We have family dinners 4 nights a week, instead of 1 or 2.  I spend more time with my kids that I ever used to.  Not only has this changed my life, but it's changed their lives -- all for the better!   

I will continue to blog, but I have changed the name of this blog to describe it better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment