Saturday, July 19, 2014

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder: A Piano Fast

I heard that Jimmy Hendrix carried his guitar with him everywhere, even on dates.  Well I guess my piano-fasting would disappoint Jimmy.  I actually break up with my piano now and again to create some space to accomplish other things.  It gives me a chance to focus on my children and relationships. 


In fact, I haven't touched a piano in two weeks.   I think we'll get back together, but I'm careful not to worship the instrument.  A little musical fast now and then is good for recharging my creative batteries.  Sometimes you don't know what something means to you until you've lived without it for a while.  


I'm curious to hear from some of my musician friends on this topic.  Do you and your instrument ever spend some time apart?  Is it ok to take a break?

No comments:

Post a Comment