Sunday, July 27, 2014

Self Discipline - The New Schedule Begins

I will briefly recap what I wrote on my Facebook page today:
 
"So my life has been devoid of music for three weeks, well...virtually. I really don't have the opportunity to make music without babysitters or superwoman energy. Actually, I am trying to figure out how to fit it in, and it will probably require some discipline on my part -- perhaps getting up at 4 or 5am to practice and compose. Interestingly enough, even though I have not been "in" music that... much lately, my compositions have just started popping into my head. Beethoven does not pop into my head. Coldplay and Fleetwood Mac do not pop into my head, but my own creations do. I will wake up with one playing in my mind, and then another a while later. This mental haunting of past compositions seems to be a very involuntary mechanism. It does not seem to be triggered by any willful act of the conscious mind. They literally just pop into my mind, or I awake with them playing. My mind obsesses over my melodies, and plays them over and over, even as I type now. Sometimes my mind will start editing the piece and adding new layers and themes. Eventually, this mental obsession will draw me back to the piano. It is amazing how mysterious the mind is -- how sometimes data or music can lie dormant for months or years, and can then suddenly rise to the surface of our consciousness; how remarkable the memory is. I can only surmise that this means I need to get back to work; not for money, but because it's the work I'm have to do."
 
So my new self-imposed schedule begins tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  I will be rising at 5am to work for a couple of hours at the piano and computer.  Then I'm taking my boys fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment